|25 Things to Know about St Marys|
| Saturday, 16th February 2013|
|Submitted by Administrator|
The Club wishes injured players Robert Conlon, Wayne Kennedy and Mark Culbert speedy recoveries from injuries picked up in the league.
Some facts about Marys (By Asst Sec & PRO)
- There are three sets of brothers in the Marys panel, namely the Flemings’s (Stephen and Dylan), Deasy’s (Barry and Conor) and the Conlon’s (Martin and Robert).
- St. Marys get their name from the second Church in the Parish in the townland of Kilmurry.
- The two club people to win the All-Ireland Féile Skills – Yvonne Hehir (nee McInerney) (1984) and Dermot Conlon (1998) both have connections with the St. Mary’s team. Yvonne’s nephew Caimin Barrett, who is also the club PRO, and Dermot’s two brother Martin and Robert are involved Saturday.
- Caimin Barrett, Eoin Quinn and Eanna Burns are cousins.
- Conor Cahill is a nephew of Jude Kearney. They are also related to Sean Chaplin and Daniel Collins. Of course, they will do battle on Saturday with Terence, Adrian and Pat Chaplin and Aidan Hyland.
- Tadgh Keogh’s father Jamesy won six senior championships with the club. He could very well be in direct opposition to his cousin Jayme on Saturday evening. Eanna Burns uncles Gerry and Declan McInerney won numerous senior titles with the club while their other brother Flan also hurled senior.
- St. Mary’s goalie Stephen Fleming won Munster and All-Ireland U21 Hurling medal's with Clare in 2012.
- Barry and Conor Deasy’s dad Mike captained O’Callaghan’s Mills against the ‘Bridge in the County final of 1993. He is now part of the ‘Bridge enior team management.
- Team captain Martin Conlon won an All-Ireland Club medal in 1996 along with Jonathon Downes brother Corey and Eoin Quinn’s brother Barry (RIP).
- In addition to Conlon, his brother Robert, Jonathan Downes, Tadgh Keogh, Sean Chaplin and team manager John O'Meara have all won senior championship medals
- Eoin Hogan, Alex Morey, David Murphy, Dylan Fleming, Darragh Fitzgerald and Conor Deasy were all part of the 2011 minor winning team.
- Eoin Hogan is originally from Offaly but moved to the ‘Bridge a number of years ago and has proved to be a good addition being part of U15, U16, minor and U21 winning teams.
- Selector Mikey Russell is a son of the legendary Eamonn (RIP). His older brother Eddie hurled for Kilmurry in this league. Mikey won an All-Ireland Féile medal in 1995.
- Sean Chaplin is the Games Manager with Clare GAA.
- Johnny Corbett is a talented cross country runner who has won numerous honours on the hurling pitch too. He was a Junior B selector in 2000 when they did the league and championship double.
- Jude Kearney captained Sixmilebridge to community games All-Ireland glory in 1991. Amongst his team mates were John O’Meara and Cathal Walsh.
- John O’Meara won an All-Ireland minor medal in 1997 with Clare with Cappa’s Conor Earley. O'Meara's brother David hurled for St. Finnachta's in this competition.
- Tadgh Keogh hurled senior champ with Clare in 2008 while Martin Conlon played league in the 90's.
- Keogh was one of seven clubmen on the Munster and All-Ireland winning Clare intermediate team.
- Alex Morey and Conor Deasy are on the Clare minor panel.
- Darragh Fitzgerald is part of the Clare Oscar Traynor Soccer team. His sister Orla won an All-Ireland intermediate football medal with Clare in the 90’s.
- Cathal Walsh was man of the match in the 2002 county senior final. He hurled minor with Clare in 1996.
- Alex Morey’s father Mike and his uncles Pat, Tommy (RIP) and Jimmy all won senior titles with the club. His older brother Caimin has hurled senior for Clare and is currently recovering from injury.
- In 1995 Robert Conlon captained the ‘Bridge to U14 All-Ireland Féile glory. His teammates included Donald Devanney, Tadgh Keogh, Sean Chaplin, Mikey Russell and Cathal Walsh’s brother Ruairí.
- Daniel Collins captained the club to Junior B success in 2010. Also involved were Donald ‘Duck’ Devanney, Caimin Barrett and Eanna Burns. While Cappa’s Gerry O’Halloran, Mike ‘Halla’ O’Halloran and Jayme Keogh were also on it.
Read more articles like this ....